Our saga begins with Steve ordering our iPhones just at the end of September. We visited the local AT&T store near Eastern and Serene in Henderson. Eddy was the rep who worked with us the night we ordered our telephones.
Here are some details Eddy had to work with:
- I had a local number but would be leaving Sprint before the end of my contract.
- We each had the iPad 3 but individual AT&T monthly data plans on them.
- Steve had an iPhone 4 and had long been ready to upgrade. Hadn’t been sure he wanted the iPhone 5 until after it had gone on sale.
- Steve’s iPhone still had a New Mexico (area code 575) number.
- Steve’s mom was also on his existing plan. She would get a new phone with the deal.
- She also still had a New Mexico number.
The week ends. October begins and we three head to Tucson so I could attend a conference, Steve’s mom could visit a fellow former educator and Steve would relax. During the first day of travel we found that our phones were going to arrive while we were gone. Ugh. After making arrangements, we made sure the iPhones were going to be safely watched until we returned.
Monday, October 8th arrives. Steve retrieves the iPhones from their caretaker and charges them. After I get home from work at UNLV – armed with our bag of goodies – go to the AT&T store again. Hicham is our tour guide for this leg of the adventure, as it was Eddy’s day off.
This is where the fun really begins. Let me acknowledge that Hicham, with the assistance of his coworkers Jeff and LeAnn, patiently navigated through the mine field that we presented to him and steadily worked on our stuff for over 90 minutes straight. Steve was armed with a bill that seemed to indicate that the earlier visit had caused problems with the accounts – the old one vs the new one – with a bill for over $300 (note: all 3 phones had been paid for at the September visit). The temporary numbers were activated then de-activated one device at a time. This took a separate call to a service center where Hicham and to repeat the story each time. The switching of SIM cards was dizzying. My iPad was the easiest to switch to the new account. Hicham transferred Steve’s mom’s contacts from her old Samsung phone to her new Pantech phone.
The bill was fixed, the devices were activated…are so we thought. There was still a lingering problem with Steve’s iPad account, the one that was supposedly deactivated at the September visit to the AT&T store. With Steve on the phone with Angela (he thinks that was her name) for close to an hour, he finally got it all set.
All said, AT&T had to invest almost five hours with us to get everything set up. At least seven reps – four in-person reps and three on the phone – were engaged during this adventure. Whew!